They are proud and wilful, but they are true-hearted, generous in thought and deed; bold but not cruel; wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs, after the manner of the children of Men before the Dark Years. — The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

This site belongs to The Rohirrim - the open for all kinship of Rohan - and every member is allowed to write here. The Muster of Rohan is a series of roleplaying events open for all rohirrim on Laurelin forming an Eored held previously held once every 5-8 weeks. We do not use a forum. The Quest is a number of letters sent to Erkenbrand from his son Therowan which describe the Epic campaign series as experienced by a handful members of The Rohirrim.

2007/09/11

Report to Erkenbrand II: Word of Gandalf Greyhame

Dear Father,

I must put my faith in the ranger bringing you this message on his way to Gondor, I have no option since I myself can not take it, nor can I spare a sword as things have unfolded up here in the north. The mist of ignorance has turned into the darkest night. Where shall I start.

My effort to help the ranger named Strider developed against my will into a formidable man-hunt and dozens of brigands have fallen by the hands of my men. Eventually these northern outlaws led us to orcs! And finally to a new trace of the White Hands and their master. Although Isenrid could not make out anything for certain when the brigands spoke in blackish westron to the orc leader he swear by the river and by the light that the name Saruman was mentioned several times. We slew orcs and men alike, taking no prisoners, giving no mercy. I cannot say anything for sure yet regarding our suspicions regarding Saruman, father, but be warned: our ally in Isengard might have turned against us. We have only found the orcs first outpost, a lot of tracking is still needed to shed light on the actual forces being in motion. I will pursue this trail until we find The Lord of Mordor himself or whoever is behind them!

After we ended the reign of the brigads we lost track of the ranger Strider who we set out to help, but we found your friend Gandalf Greyhame. I did not see any reason for him to know what we found out so far, in all fairness: if we cannot trust Saruman then who can we trust? Gandalf Greyhame listened carefully to your words and fears regarding our King Théoden and he promised to visit the King when his own errands in the north, whatever those might be, has been taken care of.

When I mentioned our quest to track the orcs he said we should speak to his friend Radagast, whom he referred to as the 'master of all living - plant or animal' and who should know of any rumours regarding the movement of orcs, on or off roads. Leaving Bree behind I will not be able to write again shortly. We head out east towards Whethertop and beyond and we will defy any orc tribes we might come across. Hopefully this Radagst Brownrobe will give us the final answer on the orcish movements.

Finally, I just want you to know that I met with the exiled poet Wraecca that you spoke of, or should I say warned us of, in your letter. He was utterly out of his mind, roaming about bare armed in warg and goblin infested territory in a pair of stolen boots and unarmed! Or armed with a lute if you will. A true miracle he had avoided being slain, Beothata belived he might have survived by keeping the enemy at bay wih his horrible singing. I have let him come with us and Thraindir have him under close guard. I will let you know as things unfold, hopefully he will not hinder us too much. My personal guess is that he will succumb within a week to orc arrows or a foul wargbite. I fear more for Fridgrim who tend to get lost when we move about in the dark. I will have Thraindir look out for both of them.

Until I can write again know that I will Honour you and your Realm.

Your loyal blood
Thérowan

No comments: